(Email from Sam June 2020 re: teaching compute resources)
As the School prepares for next year's teaching, and an alternative delivery approach, our attention is drawn to the annual software request cycle. As it is likely that we will be delivering lab classes remotely in some form or another next year we need to be specific about what software/hardware resources are required.
Please tell me what software/hardware resources you need for your modules next year. Don't assume that someone else will request the same software.
- Which physical locations do your labs run in?
- Do you *require* linux? Do you *require* Windows?
- How many students are normally enrolled on your module?
- What software do you expect the students to use? (including text editors)
- Do your lab classes require any specialist hardware? (graphics cards, additional compute, etc.)
If you think that the way you currently run lab classes would be compromised by limited access to physical resources then please contact me. If you prefer I am happy to have a chat on teams about your requirements.